Re: Giant birds

From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
The most likely reading of Phorusrhacus is "wrinkle
bearer" referring to the rugose texture of the bone on the
type jaw,  originally thought to belong to a groundsloth
as mentioned in a previous posting.  My Greek dictionaries
list the following meanings for Greek rhakos: a ragged
garment, a wrinkle, related to the verb rhako "to tear in
pieces; to produce wrinkles."  I have a photocopy of the
original description in Spanish but it would take me hours
to it dig out of my boxes of copies.  As I recall it is
only described in a paragraph or so but does mention the
rugose appearance of the bone.  One particularly odd
reading of the name I have seen is "ragged thief"....
probably because of confusion with the Greek word phor,
meaning "thief." Ameghino's names are a real puzzle
sometimes (as well as often being hard to pronounce in
both Spanish and English!).