Re: solnhofen

For more references please see Alan Gishlick's papers on maniraptoran hand
articulation. The only 'grasping' finger of the hand was the third that
slightly opposed the first (thumb) while the second was the 'feather bearing
one'. That is the reason of the 'lucky sign' bending of the fingers of several
Archaeopteryx specimens (the third bends under the second).

The whole hand acted as a hook. Most reconstructions of the hands of
maniraptorans are wrong, including those anthropomorphic hands in Jurassic
Park. The wrist never faced forward. The radius and ulna were locked parallel
to each other restricting the motion to the swiveling sideways action of the
semilunar carpal of the wrist.

In fact, it is virtually certain that all theropodan 'palms' faced inwards.

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/1/01 2:53:18 PM EST, Danvarner@aol.com writes:
>
> << Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here, George, but what about the
>  grasping posture of the Velocirator in "The Fighting Pair"?:  >>
>
> It is >grasping<, or is it merely hooking the claws around the frill? To
> grasp, the fingers must wrap around the object being grasped, and preferably
> be opposed by a digit (such as the first) that wraps around the object the
> other way. This the maniraptoran hand cannot do.

Luis Rey