Re: solnhofen

In a message dated 5/1/01 7:10:58 PM EST, Danvarner@aol.com writes:

<< I just want to note that my dictionary (Webster's) says nothing about
 opposing digits in its definition of "grasp". Hooks will work just fine
here,
 thank you. Let's not have a parse-fest here. DV >>

There >is< a difference between "grasping" and "grappling," which is what I
would describe as the function of the maniraptoran hand. Some ceratosaurs,
such as Dilophosaurus, retained the ability to grasp, by the way (Sam Welles,
pers. comm.).