From: bh480@scn.org [mailto:bh480@scn.org]\par
Sent: mardi 1 mai 2001 00:04\par
To: dinosaur@usc.edu\par
Subject: Re: Giant birds\par
\par
Re: Giant birds\par
From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org \par
The most likely reading of Phorusrhacus is "wrinkle \par
bearer" referring to the rugose texture of the bone on the \par
type jaw,  originally thought to belong to a groundsloth \par
as mentioned in a previous posting.  My Greek dictionaries \par
list the following meanings for Greek rhakos: a ragged \par
garment, a wrinkle, related to the verb rhako "to tear in \par
pieces; to produce wrinkles."  I have a photocopy of the \par
original description in Spanish but it would take me hours \par
to it dig out of my boxes of copies.  As I recall it is \par
only described in a paragraph or so but does mention the \par
rugose appearance of the bone.  One particularly odd \par
reading of the name I have seen is "ragged thief".... \par
probably because of confusion with the Greek word phor, \par
meaning "thief." Ameghino's names are a real puzzle \par
sometimes (as well as often being hard to pronounce in \par
both Spanish and English!). \par
\par
\par
\par