FOSSIL COLLECTING

Hello all.

Can anyone please tell me, in the briefest and simplest manner, exactly
what Canadian and US policies on fossil collecting are. Are individuals
allowed to go out and collect stuff and amass their own collections?
Do you have to have a license? I have read of a 'one finger policy' that
applies to Dinosaur Provincial Park - is this exclusive to DPP or more
widely applied?

This is for a book I'm working on, not personal interest. Please reply
offlist. Sincere thanks.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244