Destroyed Fossils (was: Re: JP3 Trailer)

On Sat, 5 May 2001 13:55:38
 KiernanCR wrote:
>Ideally, a *neotype* should be designated for _Spinosaurus_, if such material
>exists and the type description is adequate to show that the neotype is in
>fact congeneric (and conspecific). So, _Spinosaurus_ wasn't automatically
>invalidated by the destruction of its type specimen. We have the same problem
>with at least three mosasaur taxa, _Tylosaurus proriger_ (lost), _Clidastes
>liodontus_ (apparently destroyed during WWII), and _Halisaurus onchognathus_
>(apparently destroyed during WWII).

I also think that the type specimen of Poekilopleuron was destroyed during the
Allied bombing and invasion of Normandy.  Actually, I think that a lot of
fossils (including a few types) were destroyed during WWII.  Just curious,
where were these fossils being housed at when they were destroyed??

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob