Re: ... vs energy deficient gigantothermy (boo hiss)

> I have yet to read this... how can all aquatic animals be
> obligate
> homeotherms when water temperature changes?!?

  Water is inherently insulative. Poikilothermic animals in
marine environments can exceed size limited if these animals
were
terrestrial and subject to atmospheric effects. Subsurface
terrestrial animals (fossorial) are similarly effected, so that
mole rats may be poikilothermic and survive to great abundance.

<The neck was quite inflexible. Sauropods could browse within a
large _area_ while standing, but not within a large _volume_.>

  Yes, within a large volume. The animal can control the flexure
of its nect distally, behind the head, so that at least a few
few are affected. But maybe this wasn't what you're talking
about.

<Hm. Diplodocids had necks that faced forward (not down), and
euhelopodids and brachiosaurids had necks that did face up. And
imagine a diplodocid standing tripodally...>

  They do orient ventrally in their neutral state so that the
head in diplodocids was only a few feet above the ground. See
work by Parrish and Stevens and the DinoMorph project.

=====
Jaime A. Headden