From: Mike Taylor [mailto:mike@tecc.co.uk] \par
Sent: mercredi 2 mai 2001 17:11\par
To: Jean-Michel BENOIT [GEMPLUS]\par
Subject: Re: Battle of the titans: terramegathermy (hooray) versus\par
gigantothermy (boo hiss)\par
\par
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:11:37 +0200\par
> From: "Jean-michel BENOIT" <Jean-Michel.BENOIT@gemplus.com>\par
> \par
> All this seems highly interesting but alas, although I got the\par
> general idea ( I think ) there are tremendous words for me. Anyone\par
> who minds to give me a definition of the following will have all my\par
> blessings ..\par
\par
Jean-Michel,\par
\par
Looks like no-one has replied on the list, so here is my (possibly\par
flawed) understanding of these terms.\par
\par
> - terramegathermy\par
\par
I think this is Greg S. Paul's own word, meaning high metabolic rates\par
in large terrestrial animals, e.g. GSP's proposed model for sauropods.\par
\par
> - gigantothermy\par
\par
The hypothesis that large animals with low metabolic rates may have\par
maintained high constant body temperatures simply by their bulk\par
(because cooling rates are propotional to the surface-area/volume\par
ratio with diminishes with increasing size)\par
\par
> - bradymetabolism\par
\par
Slow metabolism (internal heating)\par
\par
> - bradyaerobic\par
\par
Slow breathing (oxygen absorption)\par
\par
> - poikilothermic\par
\par
An organism unable to regulate its own body temperature by internal\par
means such as sweating and shivering in mammals; includes animals such\par
as basking lizards which regulate their body temperatures by external\par
means such as moving in and out of the sun.\par
\par
> - tachymetabolism\par
\par
Fast metabolism, opposite of bradymetabolism.\par
\par
> - tachyaerobic\par
\par
Fast breathing, opposite of bradyaerobic.\par
\par
> - pelagomegathermy ( I read pelagic, here )\par
\par
>From context, I think this means high metabolic rates in large marine\par
animals, e.g. whales (Cf. terramegathermy)\par
\par
> - anaerobiosis\par
\par
Muscle movement produced in the absence of oxygen, done by burning\par
"stored energy" in the muscles; humans do this when sprinting fast\par
(hence very poor endurance in sprints compared with long-distance\par
running which is aerobic) and most reptiles do it whenever they move\par
since they can't run and breathe at the same time.\par
\par
> Sorry, I'm no scientist\par
\par
Me neither; this is just what I have picked up in the last year or\par
so.  Hope it's helpful.\par
\par
/o ) \\/  Mike Taylor -- <mirk@mail.com> -- http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/\par
)_v__/\\  "Omit needless words" -- Strunk & White.\par
\par
}