Re: Destroyed Fossils (was: Re: JP3 Trailer)

T. Mike Keesey wrote:

Still missing are the holotypes of _Amphicoelias fragillimus_,
_Calamospondylus oweni_, _Notoceratops bonarelli_, and _Odontorhynchus
aculeatus_ (my database includes pterosaurs).

Destroyed holotypes: _Aegyptosaurus baharijensis_, _Bahariasaurus ingens_,
_Caudocoelus sauvagei_, _Podokesaurus holyokensis_, _Poekilopleuron
bucklandii_, _Spinosaurus aegyptiacus_. All of these were destroyed in
World War II, except for _Podokesaurus_, destroyed in a fire.

I believe the type specimens for _Erectopus superbus_ and _Ornithomimus grandis_ have also gone AWOL.

Baron von Huene's _Titanosaurus indicus_ material from the Lameta Formation at Bara Simla may also be lost, including Lydekker's type caudals. However, a few years ago Sankar Chatterjee reported that he had located some of the _T. indicus_ material (can't recall which institution), but did not specify the particular elements that had been found.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall