Re: Destroyed Fossils (was: Re: JP3 Trailer)

In a message dated 5/7/01 1:13:19 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:

<< Destroyed holotypes: _Aegyptosaurus baharijensis_, _Bahariasaurus ingens_,
 _Caudocoelus sauvagei_, _Podokesaurus holyokensis_, _Poekilopleuron
 bucklandii_, _Spinosaurus aegyptiacus_. All of these were destroyed in
 World War II, except for _Podokesaurus_, destroyed in a fire. >>

A French paleontologist wrote me more than a decade ago that the type
vertebra of Teinurosaurus sauvagei (senior synonym of Caudocoelus sauvagei),
long thought to be lost/destroyed, had turned up at the museum of
Boulogne-sur-Mer. I haven't heard any more about it.