Re: Dietary factors & giant land mammals

At 08:44 PM 07/05/01 -0400, John Bois wrote:
> Grasses in particular aren't terribly nutritious or easy to digest. And
> even large mammoths quickly evolved dwarf forms in environments where food
> became relatively scarce and/or less nutritious.

Ironic, then, that the largest extant birds live in, and depend upon,
grasslands.

This is, of course, a recent artifact - if moas and elephant-birds had lasted only a few more centuries your statement would not be true.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court