Re: Cladistic taxonomy (was Dietary factors)

Ken Kinman (kinman@hotmail.com) wrote:

<As for Cetartiodactyla, I would think you would embrace such a
clade name. If traditional Artiodactyla is paraphyletic (and
cetaceans are an exgroup), as seems to be the case, a new
cladistic term like Cetartiodactyla is a good idea.  If one
redefines the paraphyletic term Artiodactyla to include
cetaceans, that would be just one more term that has been
unnecessarily appropriated and cladified (just as Osteichthyes
and Reptilia were).  Wouldn't you agree?>

  I'm afraid that Cetartiodactyla and Artiodactyla do not have
the same content ... not explicitly. The new name was chosen to
reflect a paradigm. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it also has
a separate formulation in the prescence of (I beleive)
perissodactyls. And one's paraphyletic Artiodactyla is what?
What makes this group paraphyletic?

=====
Jaime A. Headden