EOTYRANNUS & SIAMOTYRANNUS

Fred Bervoets wrote...

> If someone on the list has acces to the description of _Eotyrannus_,
> than could he please tell me if  the descibers compared _Eotyrannus_
> with _Siamotyrannus_  from Thailand which could also represent a
> tyrannosaur ancestor? _S.isanensis_ was somewhat larger but from the
> same age as _E.lengi_ and both are considered (by some) ancestors of
> _T.rex_

There is a section in the paper called 'Implications for tyrannosauroid
evolution'. The work on _Siamotyrannus_ is cited but not discussed -
except as evidence for the possible Asian origin of ?some
tyrannosauroid lineages - largely because _S. isanensis_ is based on a
pelvis and proximal caudals - bits of the skeleton that we hardly know
for _Eotyrannus_ (oh for an ilium). A la Pharris, I'm not convinced
that _Siamotyrannus_ is a tyrannosauroid in any case.

Of course I'm not allowed to mention what I've seen in private
collections.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244