Re: CHRIS LAVERS BOOK (Joke)

> Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "T. Mike Keesey" <tmk@dinosauricon.com>

> > > I'm waiting for the sequel...
> >
> > That would be _Why Elephants have Noddy_, right?
>
> British slang, I take it? Never heard the word before, looked it up, got:
> 1: a stupid person
> 2: any of several stout-bodied terns (especially genus _Anous_) of warm
> seas
>
> Neither of which makes sense.

Enough people have asked me about this that I thought I'd better
explain it to the whole list.  In Britain (and I thought world wide,
but evidently not) there's a very popular series of books for young
children about the adventures of Noddy and his chum Big Ears.  They
live in toytown, which is poplated by dolls, toy soliders, etc.  Noddy
drives a little red car (not unlike my three-year-old son -- a
similarity which has not escaped him).  His adventures typically
involve putting right problems caused by the naughty golliwogs
(amended to naughty teddy bears in recent reprints.)

The books were written by Enid Blyton, who is perhaps better known as
the author of the _Famous Five_ and _Secret Seven_ series for slightly
older children.

The up-side of this confusion is that I now know more than I did
before about stout-bodied terns :-)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor - <mike@miketaylor.org.uk> - www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There's something Newtonian about paleontology: every
         conclusion produces an equal and opposite conclusion" -- Brian
         M. McCarthy.