OT: Cetartiodactyla

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Steve  Brusatte wrote:

> Do you have a citation for the paper in which it was suggested that
> Mesonychia was not ancestral to whales?  I always understood that
> whales evolved from mesonychids.  Is it a prevaling view that this is
> not the case, or is it a minority opinion?

The "whippo" model is based only on extant taxa, so I'm not sure that it
has anything to say about _Mesonyx_ et al.

We should probably wrap this thread up before too long, or move it.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>
       Yahoo! Messenger        <Mighty Odinn>