RE: JP3-Spinosaurus]]

Strange. I remember the "smaller claw" being placed in the  Museum together
with the rest of the fossils from Tenere and labeled "Cristatusaurus".
(Anybody from or near the Museum?)

In an online article however, that small claw has been attributed to
Spinosaurus:
Figure 4: Enlarged thumb claw of Suchomimus,along with the thumb claws of
Baryonyx and Spinosaurus.
www.gly.bris.ac.uk/www/news/resnews/palaeo/Report5/news5.html

The fossils are from the same area (dried out ancient lake/inland sea), where
Paul Sereno found Suchomimus. Therefore Suchomimus and Cristatusaurus might be
the same animal. If they prove to be so, since Paul was the first one to give
the name to the dinosaur, I guess, Cristatusaurus won't be a valid name. On
the other side: Suchomimus is awfully similar to Baryonyx, which complicates
things even more. We need some good new additional material to clear up the
confusion.

There were some good discussions on the issue before:
http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2001Jan/msg00015.html

Sincerely,
Berislav Krzic
illustrissimus@usa.net
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/

"Steve  Brusatte" <dinoland@lycos.com> wrote:
On 10 May 2001 10:33:52 MET
 Berislav Krzic wrote:
>What about _Cristatusaurus?
>Cristatusaurus Taquet & D. A. Russell, 1998 [nomen dubium?]
> As far as I know, Taquet was the first one to discover the big spinosaurid
>claw, back in early 70'. It isn't quite clear yet, if this is a valid
>genus/species or not. I think there were two big thumb claws (of two
>specimens) discovered and attributed to this species (the smaller one is
>exhibited in the Paris museum).
>All the big thumb claws belonging to Baryonyx, Suchomimus and Cristatusaurus
>are quite similar in shape and size (except the smaller Cristatusaurus
>specimen - which is about 25-30% smaller). No thumb claw has been discovered
>(described) that belonged to Spinosaurus, so it is still a speculative
feature
>on every Spinosaurus restoration/reconstruction, although, quite probable.

I would also like some clarification on this.  I was in Paris about a month
ago, and although my trip through the museum was rushed, I did see some
spinosaurid material, including a nice thumb claw.  If I recall correctly,
this claw was ascribed to the genus Spinosaurus.  As Beri noted, there have
been no Spinosaurus thumb claws discovered as of yet.

Does this claw actually belong to "Cristatusaurus" or am I mistaken (is it not
actually labeled Spinosaurus)?

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY