Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

>       They say that mammal-like reptiles (which would refer to
> Therapsiformes, not the earlier Pelycosauriformes which died out in the
> Permian) died out at the Triassic-Jurassic extinction event.

This is an example how the use of paraphyletic taxa can mislead. "Both" have
living descendants, so they aren't extinct, even though no actual members of
the actual paraphyletic groups survive.

>       Are they confused?  Another media snafu?  I thought therapsids
> survived until the middle of the Jurassic.

Tritylodontids survived into the EK (in Japan); all other synapsids besides
mammals were indeed gone by the Tr-J mass extinction.