Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

George Olshevsky (dinogeorge@aol.com) wrote:

<It seems to me that the most reasonable clade that could be
given the name Mammalia would be the clade of all amniotes more
closely related to extant crown-group mammals than to the next
closest (i.e., the other) amniote crown-group, which would be
"reptilia+aves.">

  This might be problematic, as it would include all
non-mammalian synapsids, including Gorgonospida, Dicynodontia,
Sphenacodontidae, etc. These are not, in any classic or modern
sense I'm aware of, considered mammalian. I think the idea of a
mammalian *Dimetrodon* would be enough to turn anyone's face
red! Not that I'm all against it, I see even more people
disliking this (I have no opinion myself).

=====
Jaime A. Headden