Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

On Sat, 12 May 2001 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/12/01 5:40:27 AM EST, david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:
>
> << >      But as far as cladistically restricting Mammalia to the crown group
>
>  I don't advocate that, for the reasons you mention. >>
>
> It seems to me that the most reasonable clade that could be given the name
> Mammalia would be the clade of all amniotes more closely related to extant
> crown-group mammals than to the next closest (i.e., the other) amniote
> crown-group, which would be "reptilia+aves."

Don't hold your breath for people to call _Dimetrodon_ a mammal.

Why is this more reasonable than limiting it to the crown clade? I don't
understand that point.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>