Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

On Sat, 12 May 2001 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/12/01 4:02:35 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:
>
> << Synapsida or Theropsida >>
>
> If these are clades, then they include the crown group Mammalia. So, why not
> simply bring them into Mammalia and broaden the scope of that term, instead
> of creating a new taxon? Saves arguing over which "pre-mammalian" stem groups
> should be included in Mammalia.

Yes, but now we're left without a term for what used to be _Mammalia_, and
we have *three* names for the same clade. Good job.

What I want to know is why you consider turning traditional taxa into
stem-based clades more elegant than turning them into crown clades?

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>
       Yahoo! Messenger        <Mighty Odinn>