Re: Waiting for a giant bird and dino physiology revisted

> >Interesting to think of how that works for moa.  This eagle must depend
upon finding the moa in relatively open country.<<

> Not necessarily.  We have no idea how Harpagornis hunted, and given that
some of the largest eagles now living are forest canopy hunters it is at
least possible that Harpagornis could have been maneuverable enough to hunt
smaller moas beneath the forest canopy<

I think it was Holdaway who published not long ago that, based on his
examination of skeletal remains of Harpogornis, he thought it was a forest
eagle. He's also published in the most recent issue of Science (5/13/01) on
a model of the extinction of the Moa in New Zealand.

PTN