Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

In a message dated 5/13/01 12:28:13 PM EST, david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

<< > In a message dated 5/13/01 4:49:15 AM EST, david.marjanovic@gmx.at
writes:

 > << This is a moot question as long as nobody names them all. >>
 >
 > They >will< eventually name them all.

 Eventually -- sometime in the next 1,000 or 10,000 years, I think.>>

No, much, much sooner than that, I fear. Who knows how many taxa there will
be 1000 years from now! And they will all have names, too, somewhere in the
literature (assuming science is still being carried on 1000 years from now).

<< There are far too many, and by far most of them are nearly irrelevant to
any discussion. May say something about my eyes (I have glasses), but I can't
see any problem here.

 > [and in the next post:]
 >
 > << PhyloCode will stop that sooner or later by mere authority B-| . >>
 >
 > I like the present system, and I hope that PhyloCode has a long, long, and
 > ultimately losing uphill battle.

See Mike Benton's paper for several good reasons. Also, the bureaucratic
problems associated with having to >register< taxonomic names. The
immutability of taxonomic definitions, no matter how inappropriate they may
later turn out to be.