Re: Archaeopteryx

All Archaeopteryx specimens are out of the same formation: the Solnhofen
Formation (in German stratigraphy: Malm Zeta 2). It is part of the
_Gravesiana_-ammonite zone (Malm Zeta 1 - Malm Zeta 3), which covers a
period of about 700000 years (GRADSTEIN et al., 1995). Other authors
(e.g. KUHN, 1977) estimated for the whole Solnhofen Formation a duration
of  150000 years. However the plattenkalks in southern Germany are very
well suited for dating with biostratigraphy (ammonite zones), which are
checked with radiometric dating on different localities. A age of
exactly 150 million years is generally accepted at the moment (although
it may change a bit in the future due to more precise radio-isotope
measurements...).

Cited literature:
GRADSTEIN, F. M., AGTERBERG, F. P., OGG, J. G., HARDENBOL, J., VAN VEEN,
P., THIERRY, J. & HUANG, Z. (1995): A Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous
time scale.- In: BERGGREN, W. A., KENT, D. V., AUBRY, M.-P. & HARDENBOL,
J. [Eds.]: Geochonology, time scales and global stratigraphic
correlation.- SEPM Spec. Publs. 54: 95-126; Tulsa.

KUHN, O. (1977): Die Tierwelt des Solnhofener Schiefers.- 140 p., 173
fig.; Wittenberg (A. Ziemsen Verlag).

Cheers,
Oliver

Garth Godsman wrote:

> Perhaps someone can help me with this query. Have all
> 7 skeletal specimens of Archie been dated, and if so,
> what are they? I've heard a general date of 150(?)
> myrs BP - what method or methods were used to date the
> specimens?

"MUTATIO SOLA PERPETUA EST!"

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do you know something about gastroliths?
Please let me know!
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

! TEMPORARY ADDRESS UNTIL SEPTEMBER !
        Oliver Wings