Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

On Sun, 13 May 2001 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> See Mike Benton's paper for several good reasons.

As pointed out before, this paper really argues against certain practices
in phylogenetic taxonomy, and does not take into account the provisions in
PhyloCode to deal with them.

> Also, the bureaucratic problems associated with having to >register<
> taxonomic names.

I think this will be a fairly automated process. And it's a *great* idea
-- no more accidental usage of preoccupied names.

> The immutability of taxonomic definitions, no matter how inappropriate
> they may later turn out to be.

As with current codes, we will be able to make appeals. Most of the issues
with clade conversion should be sorted out in the companion volume,
anyway.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>