Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

On Mon, 14 May 2001 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/14/01 12:45:02 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:
>
> << > Also, the bureaucratic problems associated with having to >register<
>  > taxonomic names.
>
>  I think this will be a fairly automated process. And it's a *great* idea
>  -- no more accidental usage of preoccupied names. >>
>
> No, it's a lousy idea. The way things are set up now, one occasionally
> petitions the ICZN to >remove< a name; imagine instead having to petition to
> >add< a name every time you need one. This is a clear loss of freedom to name
> taxa.

This strongly illustrates my point -- read before you criticize. Article 8
<http://www.ohiou.edu/phylocode/art8.html> covers submission to the
registration database. Read that and then explain to us how this is a
clear loss of freedom.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>