Re: The position of tyrannosaurs (was Re: Armour Symposium Recollections)

On Mon, 14 May 2001 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> The more interesting paradigm shift for me presently is removing the
> pterosaurs from Archosauria and reclassifying them as derived
> prolacertiforms. Makes Ornithodira a very inclusive subclade of
> Prolacertiformes.

Actually, _Ornithodira_ would include _Prolacertiformes_ -- not to mention
_Pseudosuchia_! I think the addition of a restrictive clause, either
requiring that _Ornithodira_ be part of _Archosauria_ (Clade(_Crocodylus
niloticus_ + _Passer domesticus_)), or requiring that it exclude
_Crocodylus niloticus_, would be well-advised.

Incidentally, what's to be used for Clade(_Pterodactylus_ <-- _Passer_)
(==Clade(_Prolacerta_ <-- _Passer_), ==Clade(_Protorosaurus_ <-- _Passer)
under Peters' phylogeny)? _Pterosauromorpha_, _Prolacertiformes_, and
_Protorosauria_ are all available.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>