Re: Armour Symposium Recollections

On Mon, 14 May 2001 15:17:43
 David Krentz wrote:
>"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." wrote:
>
>At the Feathered Dinosaur talk, Currie mentioned the possibility of
>naked
>skinned tyrannosaurids!!  Apparently some skin impressions were found in
>repreparation of the type of _G. libratus_ decades ago, and these lacked
>mosaic scales.  Additionally, he said there are patches on some Dinosaur
>Park specimens showing this.  As he mentioned, it may be that these
>impressions are more common than we appreciate, but because they lack
>the
>bumpiness of traditional dinosaur skin impressions they were missed by
>folks
>for decades.  Unfortunately, no images of these impressions.  Much food
>for
>thought...
>>
>  Thom, I assumed that he meant that there were no FEATHERS found on
>Albertosaurs.  I'm I correct in thinking that "naked" skin means mosaic
>patterned skin?  Or is the naked skin some kind of epidermus like a
>plucked chicken or a humans?
>  Pehaps I was too busy drawing you guys as you talked and wasn't paying
>attention in class.

HPs Krentz and Holtz,

How was Currie's talk (other than the naked skinned tyrannosaurs)?  I was upset
I had to miss it (a little something called Mothers' Day...).  Did he talk
about anything else grounbreaking?  What did he have to say about the new
unnamed feathered dromaeosaur at the AMNH?  And, does he have anything else
awaiting publication from China?  I couldn't quite get that out of him during
my brief conversation at the reception.

I also second the motion for DML t-shirts.  The only hard part is deciding
which listmember to illustrate it (certainly not myself).

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob