Re: T-J Extinction event article (more media errors?)

In a message dated 5/14/01 3:13:44 PM EST, tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:

<< This strongly illustrates my point -- read before you criticize. Article 8
 <http://www.ohiou.edu/phylocode/art8.html> covers submission to the
 registration database. Read that and then explain to us how this is a
 clear loss of freedom. >>

All right, here is the text of the opening paragraph of the section you sent
me to:

"8.1. In order for a name to be established under the PhyloCode, the name
and other required information must be submitted to the PhyloCode
registration database. A name may be submitted to the database prior to
acceptance for publication, but it is not registered (i.e., given a
registration number) until the author notifies the database that the
paper or book in which the name will appear has been accepted for
publication."

Right now, if I want to establish a taxonomic name, all I have to do is
publish it in a publication, which is suitably defined under the ICZN. I
don't have to "register" it anywhere. Under the PhyloCode, the name would
>have< to be "submitted" to the database. That right there strikes me as
irksome.