Re: The position of tyrannosaurs (was Re: Armour Symposium Recollections)

> Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:32:04 -0400
> From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
>
> > > ** Tyrannosaurids are coelurosaurs, but lie outside Maniraptoriformes.
> > > (Just outside, but outside).
>
> > What is inside Maniraptoriformes?
>
> Ornithomimosaurs plus Coelurus plus Scipionyx plus Maniraptora (containing
> the oviraptorosaur-therizinosaur clade and the
> alvarezsaurid-troodontid-dromaeosaurid-bird clade).

Like this?

        Coelurosauria
        |--Tyrannosauria
        `--Maniraptoriformes
           |--_Coelurus_
           |--_Scipionyx_
           |--Ornithomimosauria
           `--Maniraptora
              |--+--Oviraptorosauria
              |  `--Therizinosauria
              `--+--Alvarezsauria
                 |--Troodontidae
                 |--Dromaeosauridae
                 `--Aves

Do you have any truck with the concept of Eumaniraptora, or has that
group gone the way of all (extinct) flesh?

(Yes, I know that coelurosaurian phylogeny is something of a moving
target, but I'd like to stay more or less up to date, if only so that
the FAQ doesn't mislead.)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor - <mike@miketaylor.org.uk> - www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Wagner's music is much better than it sounds" -- Mark Twain.