RE: The position of tyrannosaurs (was Re: Armour Symposium Recollections)

> From: Mike Taylor [mailto:mike@tecc.co.uk]
>
> Like this?
>
>       Coelurosauria
>       |--Tyrannosauria
>       `--Maniraptoriformes
>          |--_Coelurus_
>          |--_Scipionyx_
>          |--Ornithomimosauria
>          `--Maniraptora
>             |--+--Oviraptorosauria
>             |  `--Therizinosauria
>             `--+--Alvarezsauria
>                |--Troodontidae
>                |--Dromaeosauridae
>                `--Aves

Actually, like that, except for the paravian part of the clade, which came
out as:
Alvarezsauridae + (Troodontidae + (Dromaeosauridae + Avialae))

However, for purposes of this analysis all these were coded as single OTUs,
so it could well be that breaking them up into several component taxa (as,
for example, I did at SVP2K) might result in a different topology.

> Do you have any truck with the concept of Eumaniraptora, or has that
> group gone the way of all (extinct) flesh?

As you can see above, Eumaniraptora is alive and well and showing up in my
MPTs.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742