Re: Archaeopteryx

ELurio@aol.com wrote:
>>I read somewhere that they found a couple in Romania about twenty
>>years ago.

>If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, this is a partial
>humerus (missing both ends) from Bihor in Romania, dated to Early Cretaceous
>(Cenomanian).  The specimen was tenatively referred to _Archaeopteryx_.  (I
>don't have the ref, but I think it was by Grigorescu and Kessler.)  Most
>probably the specimen is Theropoda indet.

>Tim

Since the literature on the Romanian cretaceous birds from Cornet is not
easy to find I thought should summarize it here:

Benton, M. J., Cook, E., Grigorescu, D., Popa, E. and Tallodi, E. 1997.
Dinosaurs and other tetrapods in an Early Cretaceous bauxite-filled
fissure, northwestern Romania. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology,
Palaeoecology 130(1-4): 275-292 (Aves p. 284-287).

Bock, W. J. & Bühler, P. 1996. Nomenclature of Cretaceous birds from
Romania. Cretaceous Research 17(4):509-514

Jurcsák, T. & Kessler, E. 1985. La paleofaune de Cornet - Implications
Cluj-Napoca

Jurcsak, T. & Kessler, E. 1986. Evolutia avifaunei pe teritoriul Romanei.
Partea I: Introducere (Evolution of the avifauna in the territory of
Romania. Part I: Introduction). Crisia 16:577-615.

Jurcsak, T. & Kessler, E. 1987. Evolutia avifaunei pe teritoriul Romanei.
Partea II: Morfologia speciilor fosile (Evolution of the avifaune in the
territory of Romania. Part II: Morphology of fossil species). Crisia
17:583-609.

Jurcsak, T. & Kessler, E. 1988. Evolutia avifaunei pe teritoriul Romanei.
Partea III: Filogenie si sistematice (Evolution of the avifauna in the
territory of Romania. Part III: Phylogeny and systematics). Crisia
18:647-688. (In Romanian.)

Jurcsák, T. & Kessler, E. 1991. The Lower Cretaceous paleofauna from
Cornet, Bihor County, Romania and its importance. Nymphaea 21:5-32.

Kessler, E. 1984. Lower Cretaceous birds from Cornet (Romania). In: Third
symposium on Mesozoic terrestrial ecosystems, ed. W -E. Reif and R.
Westphal, 119-121. Tübingen: Attempto Verlag.

Kessler, E. 1985. Restur fosile de pasari din cretacicul inferior al
României. Natura (Bucuresti) 37(:2):38-40.

Kessler, E. 1987. New contributions to the knowledge about the Lower and
Upper Cretaceous birds from Romania.
Occasional Papers of the Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology 3:133-135.

Kessler, E. 2000. Preliminary Revision of the Early Cretaceous Bird Remain
from Cornet  (Romania) [Abstract].
Vertebrata PalAsiatica 38(Suppl.):16.

Kessler, E. & Jurcsák, T. 1984. Fossil bird remains in the bauxite from
Cornet (Romania, Bihor county). Travaux du Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle

Kessler, E. & Jurcsák, T. 1984. Fossil bird remains in the bauxite from
Cornet (Padurea Craului Moun
tains - Romania). Preliminary note. In: 75 Years Laboratory of
Paleontology, Spec. Vol. pp. 129-134. Buc
uresti.

Kessler, E. & Jurcsák, T. 1986. New contributions to the knowledge of the
Lower Cretaceous bird remains from Cornet (Romania). Travaux du Muséum

I recommend starting with the Bock & Bühler paper since the nomenclature is
a very sticky mess.

Tommy Tyrberg