RE: The position of tyrannosaurs (was Re: Armour Symposium Recollections)

> From: Zoe Heraklides [mailto:z_heraklides@hotmail.com]
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr writes:
>  >
> > >   Coelurosauria
> > >   |--Tyrannosauria
> > >   `--Maniraptoriformes
> > >      |--_Coelurus_
> > >      |--_Scipionyx_
> > >      |--Ornithomimosauria
> > >      `--Maniraptora
> > >         |--+--Oviraptorosauria
> > >         |  `--Therizinosauria
> > >         `--+--Alvarezsauria
> > >            |--Troodontidae
> > >            |--Dromaeosauridae
> > >            `--Aves
> >
> >Actually, like that, except for the paravian part of the clade,
> which came
> >out as:
> >Alvarezsauridae + (Troodontidae + (Dromaeosauridae + Avialae))
>

> What about Compsognathus and Ornitholestes?

Ornitholestes, Compsognathus, Sinosauropteryx, Dryptosaurus, Nqwebasaurus,
Nedcolbertia, and Marshosaurus were all outside the Tyrannosauroidea +
Maniraptoriformes clade.

> Did you include the referred braincase in the Stokesosaurus material, or
> just postcranial bones?

I just included the type and originally referred specimens (ilium, premax,
etc.).  I did not include the Portuguese teeth nor the braincase, but
suspect that a) they do belong to Stokesosaurus and b) would only increase
the affinity with Tyrannosauridae.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742