Re: Dinosaurs in space?

On Thu, 17 May 2001 Danvarner@aol.com wrote:
>        A brain cell that miraculously escaped the last several decades
> unscathed just bobbed to the surface. Do any of you older types remember a
> television series of the late 50's/early 60's titled "Men in Space" starring
> William Lundigan? Even though the stories were fictional, they played it
> pretty straight as everyone was following the events at NASA back then. It
> was more Cape Canaveral than Star Fleet Command, if you get my continental
> drift.
>        The episode I just remembered involved Col. McCauley (Lundigan)
> finding a fossil on a small asteroid. I seem to remember the thing looking
> like Archaeopteryx. Anyone else remember this? DV PS Hey, I just remembered
> that I had a plastic Col. McCauley space helmet, too. Why is my life passing
> before my eyes?

FWIW

http://www.solarguard.com/spachero.htm

Aimed at adults, and with the cooperation of the U.S. Air Force and space
artist Chelsey Bonestell, this series tried to give a ``realistic''
picture of space flight in the near future (say, 1970). Colonel Ed
McCauley (William Lundigan) was the only regular cast member, as he
supervised the construction of a manned space station, and a lunar colony.
In later episodes he was on expeditions to Mars and Venus.
Although there was a hint of an extraterrestrial civilization, no life was
depicted on any other planet of our solar system (correctly).
Suspense came from failure of men and equipment during space exploration.
The show was hampered by dull scripts, poor acting, and
inadequate special effects and lasted only one season.

See the lunchbox at

  http://atgbcentral.com/lundigan.html