Re: Dinosaurs in space (joke)

I stand corrected. Forget Mercury. But the Moon is still by far the one getting the lion's share of the Earth ejecta, followed by Venus. And if by chance we find a dessicated, mangled (but whole) dinosaur on the Moon, and Shull is vindicated beyond his wildest dreams, I will then propose that solar flares are triggered by incoming chunks of stromatolites (which to me seems a far more likely scenario). [Important Note to that Japanese student: Please don't quote this message on your site].
And let's all forget about JP4. How about another sequel to 2001, but instead of starting with scenes of apes fighting off apes with bones and rocks, we could have moon settlers fighting each other with dinosaur femurs and stromatolites. And when Shull is hired as the consultant to that movie, we could see how long Horner remains diplomatic and shrugs it off. <grin> Just kidding Jack.
-----Ken
From: Dinogeorge@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Dinosaurs in space?
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:00:01 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/01 3:17:36 PM EST, kinman@hotmail.com writes:

<< The most likely planets with Earth rocks would therefore be Venus and
Mercury, but their extreme environments aren't very conducive to rocks lying
around unchanged like they would on the Moon (which also has the advantage
of being so close to us). >>

It is much more difficult to reach Mercury than Mars via meteorite from
earth. Mercury is deep within the sun's gravitational well, and a meteorite
would have to lose quite a bit of the earth's orbital velocity in order to
reach that planet, considerably more than would have to be added to earth's
velocity to reach Mars. Spacecraft from earth to Mercury (e.g., Mariner 10)
have to use Venus for precise gravity-assisted slowdown to accomplish this,
but random meteorites from earth would be much more likely to simply hit
Venus than to be slowed down enough to go all the way to Mercury.