Re: ... vs energy deficient gigantothermy (boo hiss)

Philidor11 (philidor11@snet.net) wrote:

<If I'm following your argument correctly, you mean 'inclement'
instead of 'claimant'.>

  What I mean is that when something lays claim to something
else, it is claimant on that score.

<Also, I think you're arguing that the more turnover there is
among species in a changing climate, the more likely those
species are to be cold-blooded(?). If true, then by the same
logic wouldn't the replacement species be more likely to be
warm-blooded? Just want to be sure I'm understanding.>

  Actually, if they were all cold-blooded, I'd say the turnover
would be less. In animals that dwell in areas where the
temperature changes in such a fashion that weather has such a
role on their ecology, cold-blooded animals are rarely in
attendance. In the tropics and southern hemisphere, especially
Africa and Australia, and India, the primary predators in the
inland water courses are large crocs, not so in higher southern
latitudes or most of the norther hemisphere. Thus, the weather
would not be very relevant anyway, as I see it.... Few animals
take large cold-blooded prey, natural competition and the fate
of the drier months are the primary effects on African and
Aussie crocs, as I understand it. Komodo dragons (most large
varanids, anyway) are similarly effected, I'm not sure about the
Argentinian snakes....

=====
Jaime A. Headden