RE: Classification of Plesiosaurs and Ichthyosaurs?

Hey, folks:
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use an English Dictionary or Thesaurus when
dealing with technical terms!!  They are not written by science
professionals who know the terms as used. (*)

It is true that some analyses place plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs (together,
with some Triassic taxa, as Euryapsida) at the base of Archosauromorpha, and
thus they would be "archosaurs" in the broadest sense.  However, I strongly
suspect the lexicographers in question didn't do much in the way of primary
research on the subject.

* Also, it is never good form in a technical, or even a student, science
research paper to use the phrase "Webster (or American Heritage, or whater)
defines [word x] as...".  Go for a technical source.  (Ah, the joy of
grading term papers... ;-).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742