Re: Turtles and Diverity was Re: Classification of Plesiosaurs and Ichthyosaurs?

At 08:47 AM 18/05/01 -0400, ELurio@aol.com wrote:
WHY?!?!?!?!?!  Shouldn't a greater diversity of life living today be far
cooler than greater extinction of forms? Assuming that turtles are anapsids,
isn't that better for the study of life than having them being just a tiny,
insignificant offshoot of the  Archosauromorpha like many here are trying to
make birds?

That's "assuming". Some recent studies (which are far from universally accepted) suggest that the anapsid condition in turtles is secondarily derived and their closest relatives may be within Diapsida - I suggest that is what is being referred to here, not a suggestion that all anapsids (eg pareiasaurs) be moved into Archosauromorpha.

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court