Re: TINGAMARRA REVISITED

Darren Naish wrote:

I deliberately avoided mention of _Tingamarra_ because it's status as a
putative basal ungulate (or condylarth or whatever) is by no means
certain. This I learnt from Tom Rich who mentioned similarities the
specimen has with _Slaughteria_, a basal tribosphenid (or possible
metatherian) from North America.

I thought that _Tingamarra_'s status as a basal ungulatomorph might be questionable - recent most papers on "condylarths" studiously avoid mention of this Australian genus. But I was still confident that _Tingamarra_ was some sort of placental. (I thought _Slaughteria_ was a weird basal therian, like _Pappotherium_.)

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall