Re: European predator question=)

> >In addition, there was a very large (11 m or so) abelisaur from the Late
Cretaceous of southern France (unnamed, undescribed, unpublished in
technical journals...).

> What information do you have on this French abelisaurid?  Where was it
discovered and when?  What material is known?  Are there plans for any
publication or formal description?

All I have is rather popular:

Rachel Fléaux: La terreur du Crétacé. Sciences et avenir, Mai 1999, p. 46 --
48

"It must have measured close to 9 m [not 11, my false memory] and terrorized
the south of France 70 Ma ago. The latest dinosaur excavated from [...]
[there] is the biggest of the Hexagon [ = France]. A beautiful discovery,
credited to amateur paleontologists."

A femur is known, found in a vineyard near Cruzy in the département Hérault.
Jean Le Loeuff recognized it as a theropod femur, and Éric Buffetaut (just
having found *Siamotyrannus*) says it could belong to the Abelisauridae.

Among other European abelisaurs, there is the already-mentioned jaw from the
département Bouches-du-Rhône (also southern), and *Tarascosaurus
salluvicus*, half a femur + 2 vertebrae from the département Var (also
south, see *Variraptor*) that hint at a merely 3 m long animal. (More of it
is being/has just been excavated near Aix-en-Provence, but AFAIK nothing at
all is published on this one.)