Re: Condylarths (TINGAMARRA REVISITED)

Eric Lurio wrote:

Guess what? EVERYTHING was closely related during the Cretaceous!!!! When
last I read [around five years ago, I got a copy of the article somewhere],
it was said that hyraxes were more closely related to prissidactyls than
anything else, making them ungulates.

Five years is a long time in paleontology.

It was my impression that molecular and fossil data concurred (for once) that the Hyracoidea are closer to the tethytheres (sirenians, elephants) than to the perissodactyls (horses, tapirs, rhinos). By contrast, phylogenies based solely on the morphologies of living mammals place hyraxes closer to the perissodactyls than to other paenungulates (or subungulates or pseudo-ungulates). This may be due to convergence or long-branch attraction, or both.

Feel free to correct me if I'm dead wrong on this.

[ "prissidactyls" - is this the clade that includes showponies? ;-)  ]

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall