CORDILLERA DINOS

A few brief questions on Kell00Bell's post (what is your real name?)...

>  It is interesting that "Betasuchus"  is similar to Dryptosaurus

Who says this? I've handled the 'Betasuchus' material and recall it
being somewhat abelisaur-like. Is it in Weishampel and Young?

> Perhaps that was a European island, given the tentative identification of
> Thescelosaurus from Romania.

This is news to me, where was this published? I know Galton (1999)
referred to much new thescelosaur stuff in his recent paper but I don't
recall any of it being from Romania [Galton, P.M. 1999. Cranial
anatomy of the hypsilophodontid dinosaur _Bugenasaura inferratis_
(Ornithischia: Ornithopoda) from the Upper Cretaceous of North
America. _Rev. Paleobiol., Geneve_ 18, 517-534].

> In addition to a probable America-Europe link, Tarascosaurus,
> in particular, supports a Europe-Africa connection, inasmuch as
> abelisaurs are otherwise known only from Gondwana.

Note that there are other possible European abelisauroids besides
_Tarascosaurus_, e.g. the maxilla from Bouches-du-Rhone, France.
Incidentally, no abelisauroids in the Wealden yet, describe my best
efforts to find one.

>  Czerkas once mentioned probable South American tyrannosaurs,
>  based on "fragmentary fossils."

This is probably based on _Genyodectes_, now thought to be an
abelisauroid.

On another note - I learnt the other day that there is an oriental drink
called Tsingtao beer.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244