Re: Yixian Fossil (was Re: Sinornithosaurus and Negative Evidence)

> On this topic, someone sent me photos of a certain fossil asking for
> identification: <http://dinosauricon.com/temp/unknown.html>
>
> Apparently it is from the Yixian and in a private collection. (That isn't
> legal, is it?...)

To export fossils from China is usually illegal, AFAIK.

> It looks kind of like an ornithischian to me, but the
> preparation and my identification skills are both too poor to be certain.

I'm sure it is an ornithischian, judging from skull and foot shape.

> It has no halo,

But it has some black stuff on e. g. its back. This even looks fibrous to me
(well, the preparation is poor, and the resolution also isn't so perfect
that I can substantiate this).