Re: Condylarths (TINGAMARRA REVISITED)

--- ELurio@aol.com wrote:

> The condylarth
> ancestors of horses and
> whales were, during the Lancian and early Paleocene,
> far more closely related
> to each other than they are to their modern
> descendants.

I'm not clear on this.  How so?

> Also, since so many on the list are enamored of
> calling modern birds
> dinosaurs and imagining that sparrows are teensy
> t-rexes, why do you object

Hm.  "The Tit-mouse That Roared."

> to looking at a picture of a hyrax and saying "This
> is a Condylarth!"
>
> After all, a hyrax LOOKS exactly like a Paleocene
> condylarth was supposed to
> look like.

But since a sparrow doesn't really look like a T. rex,
there must be a deeper basis for the actual
relationship other than what might just be a
superficial similarity, yes?

(Or maybe I'm confused.  What do you mean by
"Looks-like," specifically?)

(What was a condylarth supposed to look like and how
do you know it was supposed to look like that?)

=====
.oO=-Oscar Quill is a nom de something for Scott Elyard-=Oo.
|    "The picture of a faithful alligator boundin' into    |
|      daddy's lap ain't one the public is ready for."     |
|              --Walt Kelly (Beauregard)                   |
| Comic:                http://www.archosaur.org/oscar/    |
| Life (in progress):   http://www.archosaur.org/          |