Re: A long post about DUMB METATHERIANS vs EVIL, SMART PLACENTALS

On Tue, 22 May 2001, David Marjanovic wrote:

> Wrong. Firstly, be aware that you are talking of western North America
> alone. Secondly, many eutherians did die out there at the K-T, just
> relatively less than metatherians. Thirdly, quite some metatherians survived

Some actual data would come in handy here.

> - Different susceptibility to pyrotoxins. Probably not testable even by
> phylogenetic bracketing.
> - Different habitats. I'd say that burrowers are more likely to survive
> global firestorms and acid rain (that must have killed off lots of bacteria,
> BTW, just we don't have a fossil record worth speaking of for bacteria) than
> surface dwellers, let alone tree climbers.
> - Different food requirements.
> - Why not some random? Or lots of it?

Certainly there may have been differences in suceptibility to global
firestorms, acid rainfalls, tsunamis, etc.,  just as there may have been
differences in competive ability.  But the extinctions were not
random.  Given roughly equal diversity before, random action should yield
50/50--or do I misunderstand how this statistical process works?