Re: A long post about DUMB METATHERIANS vs EVIL, SMART PLACENTALS

In a message dated 5/21/01 8:29:30 PM EST, jbois@umd5.umd.edu writes:

<< But there _is_ a pattern.  Just that it isn't explained by the effects of
 a bolide.  No placentals extinct/most marsupials extinct.  Random would
 say 50/50.  Does this mean that something about marsupials predisposed
 them to the effects of the bolide?  If they were driven to extinction by
 the bolide, then yes!  But no one can suggest what that thing is.  I know,
 they were inferior beasts, they more easily succumbed to the bolide
 than did their more hardy placental cousins.  I think not. >>

Marsupials seem to have done fine in Australia. Maybe that's because
Australia was on the opposite side of the world from where the asteroid
impacted? Offhand I don't know of any placental species that occurs on both
sides of the KT boundary, so your statement "no placentals extinct" is
probably way off. Kill off 99% of the placentals and 99.1% of the marsupials,
maybe the placentals will come back (as new species) sooner and keep the
marsupials out of the usual niches. Who knows? At some point in the impact
scenario, it's all contingent, all luck, all random.