Re: ammonites vs. fish at K-T

In a message dated 5/22/2001 9:21:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
t_gmhuman@agency.com writes:

That's an (admittedly singular) example of what I would consider
odd.......where are all the ammonite shells, larger -species bones etc

Well (and I'm not necessarily stating *my* position here, but reporting
Alvarez'), I think that Walter Alvarez would say that we don't see a K/T
boundary death assemblage of ammonites because of acidic water conditions
that dissolved their shells, killing them *and* removing them from the fossil
record.

Caitlin R. Kiernan