Re: Condylarths (TINGAMARRA REVISITED)

> During the Lancian (just before the K-T boundary) there began a major
phase
> of speciesization in the "condylartha," the survivors of which evolved
into
> the various ungulata we know today.
>
> In other words, during the Cretaceous, the Ungulata went from a single
> species to small number of closely related species. They evolved into many
> directions, and those survivors are the crown groups we know and love
today.

Where have all these LK (crown group) placentals been found, and are they
still regarded as such today? I mean,
http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/misc/hellcreek.html lists 11 multituberculate
species, 12 metatherian species and 8 eutherian species, the latter in the
genera *Gypsonictops*, *Cimolestes* and *Batodon*. *Cimolestes* is, AFAIK,
outside the crown group; where are the others placed?

To add some dinosaur relevance :-) ... at the base of the major placental
clades according to molecular phylogeny, and at that of Marsupialia, there
are always shrewlike insectivores/omnivores/scavengers, as
http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2001Feb/msg00434.html has noted --
those that have the most chances to survive an impact.