Re: WWII Dinosaur Losses

Ostap Bender wrote:

> Josh Smith wrote:
>
>      David Marjanovic wrote:
>
>      > The Allies did 'carpet bombing', because there was practically no
> technology
>      > to aim at something with bombs. Whole cities (most famous: Dresden)
> were
>      > destroyed. C'est la guerre :-( .
>
>      In the beginning of the war, absolutely. Things were changing towards the
>      waning years, though. In Munich, on the night that Stromer's Egypt
> collection
>      died (24 April 1944), the target was a Nazi stronghold less than three
> hundred
>      feet away from the streetside edge of the museum building. As far as we
> can
>      tell, the bomb that claimed _Spinosaurus_ fell within the margins of
> error for
>      the site that the RAF was using. I think we are actually on the verge of
>      pinning down the unit that dropped that bomb...
>
>      -Josh
>
> There are two things I would like to point out here: firstly, although more
> precise bombing had become possible by the end of the war, most of the
> bombing was still done with relatively old technology; 'margins of error'
> were therefore bound to be rather large. Second, much of the destruction can
> be blamed by the principal refusal of the museum director (a convinced nazi)
> to have the collection transported to safer locations. Small items were
> smuggled out and rescued by museum collaborators, but the big pieces could
> obviously not be carried out in a suitcase. That's one situation they handled
> a bit better in Berlin, as anyone that has marvelled at Janensch'
> Brachiosaurus can confirm.
>
> Ilja

    As far as I know, the data we have on Munich is pretty sound with respect
to what units were doing the bombing and what equipment they were using...
It is completely correct, however, that most of the stuff that survived was
small because the curators mangaged to smuggle it out in their bags.

-Josh

--
Josh Smith
University of Pennsylvania