Re: On naming taxa

In a message dated 5/22/01 4:24:30 PM EST, rowe@psych.ucsb.edu writes:

<< Hence the requirement for registration can be considered an improvement
since it would do away with problems such as that.  I rest my case. >>

This is not even a "problem" in zoological nomenclature. Greg Paul named a
number of theropod taxa from new species on up in Predatory Dinosaurs of the
World. Although a few people got worked up about this initially and made a
problem out of it where there was none, his book is now considered part of
the paleo literature and some of his taxa remain in use. There was never any
need to register his nomenclature, and there is no need to register
nomenclature in the literature at any time. All publications eventually find
their level without legislative oversight.

On the other hand, once a mandatory registry is created, there is great
opportunity for mischief. From registration it is only a short step to
exclusion, and I see this as a great infringement of a worker's freedom to
create taxonomic names as needed in his or her work. In particular, a worker
who disagrees with cladistic philosophy (or whatever the prevailing
philosophy might be) may find his or her work excluded from taxonomy, even
though he or she has discovered valid taxa worthy of naming. The present code
does not institutionalize any taxonomic philosophy and in fact indirectly
encourages exploration of all kinds of philosophies by not governing
suprafamilial taxa at all. This is a good system, it is not broke, no need to
fix it.