Re: dromaeosaurid intelligence

    I agree completely with you. And to add a little bit more... The brain
is designed, in humans in a "worms" design, which allows it to have a
considerate bigger gray mass of neurons than in those animals with a
straight brain surface. This "worms" design still allows the division of
functions in centers, limited by the 'valleys (inner)' and the 'peaks
(tops)', which are not the only locations of these functions, but the main
locations. To the brain mass to body mass ratio matter, the question is: how
far does it goes? This ratio shows that when the brain is big and the body,
small, the complexity of behavior is greater, because it lasts more 'brain'
to be used than it´s in fact used for the surviving functions (walk, run,
eat, breathe,etc.). And then the mating and hunting tactics' functions can
be more developed than in lower ratios.
    The Dromaeosaurids could, according to some researchers, be evolved to a
smarter form, and even achieved the "first humans' intelligence level", and
created societies, that could evolve to primitive civilizations and,
finally, they could rule the world as we, humans, do today.
    In the reptiles and birds intelligance subject, some considerations
should be made. First, in the reptiles subject, there are some crocodiles in
a river in Africa (I don't remember the name, but I´ve seen it in a
Discovery Channel documentary too) that join around a small waterfall,
forming a semicircle, with their mouths open. Then, when a fish touches
their mouth, they close it fast, capturing the fish (and a meal). This is
strange to crocs, because they normally are territorialists and agressive
with each other, mostly in feeding matters. This tolerance behavior could be
explained by the survival instinct, but not for crocs. Other question is
that the male crocs accept female crocs in their territory in the mating
season, but not other male crocs, as it happens in this case. Could it be
the 'smart' sense of crocs working for their benefit?
    In birds, the parrots were brought to the discussion. Well, some
scientists explain the parrots' behavior by the 'imitation' of humans or by
the 'order and reward' theories. But some behavior of parrots cannot be
explained by these theories, like those parrots that can actually form
sentences and chose between the words to answer a question. This can be only
explained by the reasoning. Other curious behavior is the egiptian vulture
(_Neophron percnopterus_), that uses his beak to hold a stone and he uses
this as a tool to open ostrich's eggs. Another one is the "Roadrunner"
(_Geococcyx californianus_), that with his about 55cm long, can reach
between 16 and 24 km/h speed, reaching untill 12 steps per second, in
pursuit of the prey (small lizards and insects), and when he caches the
prey, he hits it on the ground several times (to broke its bones and
'soften' it) before swallowing, normally entire. And, the Stercorary
(_Stercorarius skua_), that pursuits his victim (in the air) untill it (the
victim) drops the meal (fish or crustacean), and then he catches it before
it falls in the ocean, and in the reproduction time, he prefers to eat the
eggs and/or the young birds.
    So, let´s not underestimate nature and its mysteries... Let´s find them,
respecting whatever they mean or are to us (because they may not be what we
think they are..).
    Regards,

        Marcel Bertolucci
    ( mbertol@zaz.com.br )
DINOWEB BRASIL:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/7472/index.html
"Dinosaurs are the most interesting and amazing mystery of nature!"